Monday, April 19, 2010

Making the Right Choice



For the past several years I've told just about every young staff member that in ministry your spouse will either make you or break you. Whether you believe that or not I'm not here to argue. I'm here to testify on behalf of the above statement. It was the summer of 1974 that I started attending Woodlake church. At that time I was dating around and like most guys looking for that special person. My friend (Larry) asked me, "Who would you like to take out?" I had my eye on a girl that everyone around me seemed to be talking about but no one was asking out. I suppose they knew that she knew and thus their chance of landing her was questionably questionable. So, me being the agressive person (not, actually very shy) I said I want to take out that girl sitting right over there. No one is dating her and I want to take her out. Her name was Rhonda Burgin and she was beautiful. So Larry's mom called Rhonda's mom because know one really knew who Mike Cooper was. And Larry's mom convinced Rhonda's mom that I wasn't some crazy guy and the clearance was made for me to make that call - that I didn't look forward to making. What if she said No? Well I called and she wasn't there, she was out of town visiting her grandmother. So, the next week I called and SCORED!!!!! We set a date for August 16, 1974 and the rest is history. We were married two months and two years to the day, October 16, 1976. Our wedding announcement came out in the Tulsa World's July 4, 1976 addition.

It has been the best decision I ever made in my life. I was determined to marry someone who would keep me in church and not waiver. I've been grateful ever since. God gave me the best spouse anyone could every have. She has been my soulmate and confidant - my lover and my best friend. We have argued, fought and made up many, many times. She completes me in the ministry and I am so grateful to have such a compassionate, relational, ROCK for a wife. She's very special as many know. She is all about Relationship with others and she does this well. If you are in the ministry I can tell you - Your spouse will either make you or break you. Mine has made me who I am. To this I can testify!!

mike

1 comment: