Thursday, May 20, 2010

What's Next?

Have you ever had one of those days when you seemed to be overly aware of something going on in your life that you didn't know how or when but knew it was coming. Last week our Pastor delivered a message on Joshua and wrestling with God. The funny thing about the whole message was during our brain storming earlier in the week the message concept and scripture reference was something that I felt in my heart and the team ran with it. Then the strangest thing happened. My week turned into one of the most disappointing, what could go wrong next, type of week and when it was all said and done - the Sermon that my Pastor delivered was for me. I felt like I wrestled with God all week long and I was doing everything I could to hold on - because that's all I knew to do.

Then today I spent the last two hours watching reruns (DVD) of West Wing. The episode that spoke so clearly to me was when President Bartlett and Josh Lyman get shot. Prior or actually during the first episode I was working on scripture references for people to use that do Prayer or Altar Ministry. I think it's important to equip people with the tools of success and the Word of God is that best tool. But why labor and tell others, "Well, go find your references yourself and good luck." Instead I'm taking the time took to do the leg work. Whether this is used or not is not the point. I had this thought a couple of weeks ago - we always want to know what the prize is before we decide if the work is worth it all. Well, I don't want to be that way. I am doing what I feel I should be doing.

Don't ask me why - but while typing through all these scriptures and finding the passages online (which is easier for me to copy and paste) I started getting that feeling that I know in my heart that what I'm doing is worth it all. Call it confirmation in my spirit. Then watching the episode following the presidential shooting when flashbacks take place that explain how the Bartlett administration all came together comes to a conclusion when the President leans over Josh (who is coming out of recovery) and Josh tells the President "What's Next?" tears started streaming down my face. Why? Because first I get caught up in movies and shows and I have a very tender heart (I know that surprises many). The other reason is because I am holding on to God until He blesses me. It's coming and it's bigger than my mind can comprehend because He trusts me to keep it all in perspective. It's not about me at all. It's not about what I can and cannot do. It's not about my talent and it's not about all the times I wondered if God even knew where I was. It's all about Him - His Glory. This trip is the most exciting trip that I will ever take on this earth. I'm part of God's story and that's the best place for anyone to be. What's Next, Lord?

2 comments:

  1. My favorite episode is 'Two Cathedrals.' I love the West Wing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What's even more cool is that "What's next?" is actually President Bartlet's famous line. So not only was Josh ready for the next thing, despite getting shot, but he also demonstrated in that moment that he caught his leader's vision to always be ready for bigger and better things, putting aside the past and not getting caught up or bogged down in what had already happened.

    ReplyDelete