Saturday, June 5, 2010

A New Work, Part 2

I think people have forgotten that once I was a teenager. It was the Summer of 1974 that I started attending Woodlake. And over time I was given the opportunity to play the piano for services. By the time I was 20 I was playing about twice a month. Back then we had many pianist (Mavis King, Jim Boze, Don Jones and Joe Wing). So just to get the opportunity now and again was special. However there was a time (believe it or not) that I sat in the audience and didn't get to play. When you change Ministers of Music things have a tendency to change. We had one, I can't even remember his name. But for me my hands were silent for several years. I used to sit in the pew and criticize everyone. I was one bitter guy, just ask my wife. I think it was a time the Lord was trying to teach me something. And that something eventually I learned. I was not the best - not even close and it's all about the attitude not the ability. It took me awhile to get that one. But once I did - I realized that what I was doing was not about me but about the Lord. Ever since then I've watched musician after musician fall away. Why, because they never got it. Then a new Minister of Music came, we hit it off and I found myself playing every service. I used to joke with Kay Middlebrook, who played the organ on Easter Sunday's first service - if we do real good I think we'll pack out the next service. LOL. I played many, many two Sunday Morning services for years. And all those years were volunteer. Now I see myself trying to encourage and give others the opportunity to grow their gift - just like I was. So, when you see someone else on the Piano it's for a purpose. Everything we do is for a purpose. These young people are gifted - just like I was and they need the opportunity to grow. I don't want to be some sixty-five year old guy thinking that the piano is mine and no one else is worthy to sit the bench. How ludicrous to think such a thought. So eventually if the Lord tells me to turn the choir to someone else then I will. Think of it like this. Are you so comfortable with your walk with the Lord and the ministry that you are involved in that you're not afraid to replace yourself and go start something else or better yet something new?

So the Lord is telling me - move over there's plenty to do. I've been known to wear many hats - so I'm comfortable moving over. A good example is Nehemiah. Nehemiah was cupbearer to the king (He had a good job and was trusted). However God moved Nehemiah back to Jerusalem. Why? to rebuild the walls and gates. Now don't read something into this - but God is moving me into other areas of ministry because I am His to use. Over the past year I've enjoyed the ministry more than I ever imagined. Yes, it is work and hard work and often goes unnoticed by most and unrewarded sometimes - but the benefits are out of this world.

mike

No comments:

Post a Comment