Wednesday, February 17, 2010

The Journey, Part 2

I got this brilliant idea to raise funds: presale CD's. Actually, it did work to give me immediate funds but not what I would need for my first trip to Nashville. But before that - I knew what was in my head and now it was time to write it down in music format for me and the Rhythm section. Larry was planning on doing some producing for a world class violinist and I was going to maybe piggy back into that rhythm session but that's another story. Now I was writing rough drafts and playing and chording and trying to fit about 3 months worth of work into 3 months. I know that doesn't make sense but when you work two jobs and try to maintain a family life - it's a lot of work. Larry asked me where I wanted to do the rhythm session. I didn't know but he knew of a Yamaha Piano that I would really like playing at a small private studio in Nashville, so that we easy. Next rhythm players - well I didn't know anyone but knew a few tops names - but I mean - little ole me they would be WAAAAAAAYYYYYYY out of my league. Then the strings!! Ah, yes the strings. First choice was to fly to Prague and use their orchestra. That's right - Prague - as in Czech Republic. Wow, could I really do that - well at least Larry could. Or he thought we could go to Seattle. We settled for the Nashville Strings. But that wouldn't come until July. So I'm trying to raise funds and get this thing off the ground when out of the blue a friend called and said, "Hey let's do lunch." I avoided asking my friends for support and such because I didn't want them to feel obligated and I didn't want to put undue stress on a perfectly good relationship. Boy was I wrong on all counts. I walked away from that lunch with a 6k committment and this was 1 week before leaving for the rhythm session in Nashville. Stan Toler wrote a book "God is never late, He's seldom early; He's always Right On Time." I believe it! Now I had what I needed to at least get through the rhythm session. So I decided to drive and left one morning early for a leasurely, relaxed 10 hour drive. Boy was I wrong! ...

mike

No comments:

Post a Comment