Sunday, February 14, 2010

Replace Yourself

I've been reading a book by Andy Stanley titled "7 Practices for Effective Ministry." One of the practices is replacing yourself. No, I don't plan on checking out anytime soon but to be really effective in ministry you have to come to the point that you are not afraid to let someone else step into a leadership role. The last several weeks I've done this and today was the real step for me. You see I've played the piano for Woodlake Church for just about 30 years. Today I played for the choir opener then turned the keyboard over to Brandon. Why? Because one day I will not sit on the bench and someone else will take my place. Brandon is young, a college student, and a very fine musician. Whether or not he makes Woodlake a permanent home and place of ministry is not important. What's important is that he gets an opportunity to learn and grow under the leadership of a musician that's not afraid to replace himself. I only wish someone would have done that for me. For me, years ago, playing in church was a competition and a very unpleasant experience. At that time there were four pianist and I was the youngest and because of my willingness to be coached and grow and listen to what was asked of me - I became the permanent pianist. No music degree - school of hard knocks and the Lord has done nothing but bless me and blow my mind. My goal is to continue to give others the means to grow in their gifts for the kingdom of God. Way to go Brandon.

mike

No comments:

Post a Comment